I found this plastic piece inside of a 3/4" copper pipe. Is it a random discovery, or a leftover from the manufacturer, or some type of water reducer?

see-through pipe

  • I was thinking it was a cap to keep the pipe clean. HVAC pipe and tubing are shipped purged of air and have end caps so the pipe doesn't get moisture inside the pipe.
    – Ed Beal
    Apr 11 at 15:41
  • It looks like the remains of a two-hole laboratory stopper. A giveaway is a slight taper.
    – HABO
    Apr 11 at 15:56
  • This piece was found inside the pipe, so not an end cap (unless maybe for a 1/2"). This is straight sided, and plastic; I think the lab stoppers are rubber?
    – dabi
    Apr 12 at 3:07

It's a flow restrictor. They are usually installed in shower heads or other types of plumbing fixtures. It was probably left in a tool box and found it's way into the pipe or was intentionally not installed... I hated those things.

  • I don't think so. I have never seen one like this. But maybe it is a hillbilly version. A shower would dribble with this thing in the main pipe.
    – DMoore
    Sep 8 at 19:38
  • @DMoore I've removed many like this from hotel showers. then put them back when I checked out. Yes, the shower damn near dribbled.
    – JACK
    Sep 8 at 20:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.