enter image description here

Plumber suggested using foam in this bay (with a water supply for a standing tub filler) because it was better than batts of insulation in stopping cold air movement, hence preventing freezing.

I thought that blow in foam insulation didn't have a high R value compared to fiberglass. Unless he meant a foam similar to a Great Stuff formula.

What would you use?

  • Why not contact the plumber and ask him what type he was referring to. Answers could be based on opinions.
    – JACK
    Apr 11, 2021 at 15:04

1 Answer 1


Based on the word foam I would imagine he means the stuff similar to great stuff which does have a higher R value. Is the pipe partially insulated? I'd be worried about the fact that its directly on the drywall that's next to the un-insulated area. The down side to the foam if something goes wrong you won't be able to get in.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.