We are having our kitchen cabinets painted white and need to replace the spline that holds in the glass on 4 of the cabinet doors. Unfortunately we don't have a physical sample anymore but I have these pictures.

Any idea on where we can buy these? There are a lot of options and most of them say they are for aluminum windows, but this goes into a groove in a wooden cabinet door.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • If the photos are not a physical sample then what context do they provide. Maybe a photo of the cabinet door where the glass needs to be affixed.
    – Alaska Man
    Apr 10, 2021 at 23:58
  • @AlaskaMan they are pictures of the exact old spline, I just didn't have it physically anymore so I couldn't measure it. But I was able to find a piece.
    – Shygar
    Apr 11, 2021 at 20:43

1 Answer 1


There are dozens and dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of types and shapes of "spline" material.

I recommend that you do NOT go on a "goose chase" for an exact duplicate of what was installed previously. Instead, I recommend that you take a door and glass pane with you to a local window/door/glass shop and find any alternative that will adequately secure the glass. There are even newer foam strip materials that conform to a variety of channel sizes and shapes. You could even consider "non-spline" alternatives like nailed wood strips or plastic clips.

  • it does not matter what the labeled use of the spline is, as long as it securely holds the pane
  • it does not matter what the material is, as long as it securely holds the pane
  • Thanks yea we may have to end up doing that. We've already tried about 4 different glass shops and they either wanted more than the door is worth or they were going to use metal clips. I found something that looks similar on Amazon so I'm going to give that a try, otherwise we will probably go with the metal clips and maybe caulk over the kerf cut
    – Shygar
    Apr 11, 2021 at 20:46
  • 1
    Caulking is probably not a good idea, BTW. If the pane breaks you will never be able to remove it (or the pieces of it) without extreme difficulty. If anything, use a non-setting caulking putty. I really highly recommend non-adhesive foam strip, often found in the weatherstrip aisle; not the soft mushy stuff but open-cell round foam, that you can stuff in the channel. Apr 12, 2021 at 1:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.