I have narrow gaps between the floor (Amtico) and the skirting boards (not over 1.5/2 mm) that I would like to fill but I'm not sure what to use. The floor is quite elastic so ideally I'd need something that sticks and that is also flexible and doesn't crumble. Being able to paint over it is a bonus, but the main goal is to fill those gaps. What's the best product that I could get in the UK to get the job done?

enter image description here

  • How about a picture so we can see what you see. – JACK Apr 3 at 12:01
  • @JACK thanks, I've added a photo – Phoenix87 Apr 3 at 12:51
  • it would actually look worse (wobbly/wavy) if you had no straight shadow line. – dandavis Apr 3 at 20:23

If skirting board by itself isn't sufficient then you can add a length of quarter round as well.

enter image description here

  • the picture shows cove, but you recommend 1/4 round? – dandavis Apr 3 at 20:21

If that is a floating laminate floor it really should be left alone. Scribing and cutting the baseboard (skirting) would have been best, but to caulk the gap, which is the other alternative would bond the flooring to a degree to the flooring and not allow it to move as it needs. The shoe mold is an idea that is used but has is drawbacks, it is typically nailed at an angle into the floor, in the case of floating floor, it would be in essence, nailing the flooring in place. If it is nailed only into the skirting then its holding power is minimized, and possibly will leave the same gap that you are holding objection too. Besides in my opinion, adding another piece of molding will detract rather add to the look.

Now, if it is solid floor, or glue down, and not a floating laminate, I would a good grade of latex caulk to caulk it, but be very careful about the cleaning off of the excess.

  • Thanks for the detailed answer; as mentioned in the OP the flooring is Amtico (vinyl) – Phoenix87 Apr 3 at 15:54
  • I take it all Amtico is vinyl? In the States, the makers produce many varieties. – Jack Apr 3 at 15:57
  • As far as I'm aware, Amtico is just vinyl: amtico.com – Phoenix87 Apr 3 at 15:59
  • Then if it is not glued down, which some vinyl floor can be, it is a floating floor and needs to move due to various changes. When the floor was laid it was required to keep a minimum gap of say 5-8mm at all edges? If so, that is the gap required by the maker to allow for movement. – Jack Apr 3 at 16:02
  • I think the gaps are not meant to be there because they are not all around the perimeter of each room, but just in some places. I believe they have been created by the building still settling (it's a new build flat). – Phoenix87 Apr 3 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.