I just had hardwood floors installed in my office and I need to install a threshold to cover where the hallway carpet and hardwood join. The challenge is, the clearance is only 1/2” under the door (a little more toward the outer edges of the door.) It’s a metal door so trimming the door isn’t an option. I’d like something that looks professional, not a protective tape etc. What are my options? THANKS!

  • That's a "transition", not a threshold.
    – isherwood
    Mar 30, 2021 at 17:58
  • 1
    It's a bit odd that your flooring installer didn't deal with this. It's normally part of the job.
    – isherwood
    Mar 30, 2021 at 18:05

1 Answer 1


You wouldn't cover the carpet in that scenario. You just use a termination molding with a vertical face against which carpet is tucked. Typically the top flange on these isn't more than 1/4" thick.

          /    _________|_____________________
|||||||| |    ||
|||||||| |____||  

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.