There is an engraving on the bulb: 6v? 120v

This is for a motion-activated floodlight and I want to replace it with an LED but I don't know what to look for that fits this socket.


  • 1
    "Bob". But seriously, measure the spacing & length of the pins and hopefully it will match up with one of the standard sizes (G4, etc.). Mar 24, 2021 at 17:29
  • 3
    That's "GY", not 6V. GY describes the base/pins, but there are different sizes. It's most likely a GY6.35 - measure the distance between the pins (6.35mm is 1/4"). I don't see any indication of the wattage though - is there anything on the other side?
    – brhans
    Mar 24, 2021 at 17:41
  • Good point on GY @brhans
    – P2000
    Mar 24, 2021 at 18:15
  • 1
    @manassehkatz-Moving2Codidact - I was going to say "Dimwit" This is what i call my drunk uncle Bob.
    – Alaska Man
    Mar 24, 2021 at 19:40
  • @AlaskaMan Aha, because he is a...dim bulb! Mar 24, 2021 at 20:49

1 Answer 1


Perhaps Halogen 100W.

enter image description here

Not sure what the 6V is. Maybe "GV", Walmart's Great Value. They have these bulbs.

Or GY, for GY-type pin-lamp base. There are different pin spreads under the GY family, so make sure you have the right one. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-pin_lamp_base (as suggested in the comments by brhans)

Here's an overview for any interested readers:

enter image description here

From https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/b7/73/19/c0beebbacf9410/US8888332.pdf

Here's a link to the above bulb:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.