enter image description hereDoes anyone know how this was used. I believe it came from a hardware store. Bottom is flat and smooth and weighs a little over a lb.

  • 2
    I'm more curious about the antique camera that puts time stamps on the image. :P Any holes or indentations on the ends?
    – isherwood
    Mar 20 '21 at 13:57
  • 1
    BTW, you might have more luck at woodworking.stackexchange.com.
    – isherwood
    Mar 20 '21 at 13:57

That looks like a flatter used in the hat making process.

Used for flattening the felt.


I don't think it is a woodworking tool. I believe it is a lead paddle tool used in automotive body work. It is used to shape the lead used to seal seams, fill dents etc.

  • It would be charred if it had been used with solder. . I have watched solder body work , it required no pressure , like moving oatmeal around . The trick was preventing the solder from flowing off . Mar 21 '21 at 0:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.