I am planning to lower the height of my kitchen drain outlet from the wall in order to accommodate a garbage disposal but I am unsure of which sanitary tee to use. My current plan is to use a 2 x 2 x 1.5 sanitary tee that stubs up to a 1.5" trap adapter. However, I see that there is also a 2 x 2 x 2 sanitary tee available. Which sanitary tee is considered standard for a kitchen sink? Also, if the 2 x 2 x 2 sanitary tee is preferred, what fittings would I need to reduce to the 1.5" pipe from the kitchen drain?

Updated with picture. The drain is currently cast iron. I intend to replace this portion with ABS and lower the outlet. enter image description here

  • 3
    What would help is a few pics of the setup under your sink. You'll get better answers once we can see what you see.
    – HoneyDo
    Commented Mar 20, 2021 at 1:40
  • what size is the metal in the wall? Commented Mar 20, 2021 at 18:48
  • Either will work, Both will require a trap adapter to accept the 1 1/2" pipe from the trap.
    – Alaska Man
    Commented Mar 20, 2021 at 19:16

1 Answer 1


I have seen both 2" and 1-1/2 adapters at the drywall waiting to accept the white "tubing" (yup, that what plumbers call it, the thin white pipe used under the sink). From a practical standpoint, as to what readily available at your local hardware store, I would choose the 1-1/2 ABS sanitary T plus an adapter at the wall. You can also use the 2" abs and adapt down to 1.5" abs in two abs pieces, then get an abs straight piece then the 1.5" abs to male threaded tubing adapter. The latter solution has more pieces and is therefore slightly costlier.

I'll let someone else pontificate on Code.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.