I am planning to build a ground level deck in bay area in northern California where we have pretty nice weather, and no snow in my living area. I am looking for feedback with following specs
- finish height 13"
- on existing uneven concrete patio (highest to lowest is around 1.5")
- composite deck 1" thickness
- 16" OC for internal joist
- most of the time it should be empty deck and no huge furnitures.
I used decks.designer.com to draw a fairly simple layout.
- is 2x8x10 PT Hem fir ok to span a little less than 10' for internal joists? I looked on decks.com and for 16" O.C, it claims 11'-1" for span.
- Rim beams: I am planning to use double 2x8x8 for the rim beam for long sides only (22'), which should give me around around 7' span for double 2x8. Or I need more footing to support shorter span?
- Is 4x4 posts enough? Or I need to use 6x6 posts? I know 6x6 will meet all codes, but wonder if I can just use 4x4.