I have a gas fireplace with a remote control plugged into an electrical outlet hidden below the fireplace unit. The remote control is old and not working, and I had thought about wiring up a switch instead by wiring the switch in place of the remote's leads. According to a fireplace tech, the remote box just acts as a short circuit between the leads.
Also there are other questions that mention needing specific milli-volt type switches.
Can I use normal romex/wire and 120V switch or is there something specific to high-heat situations and/or small currents?