I am restoring an old lamp with a shade that attaches with sort of a hose clamp thing held on by a small machine screw. The screw was stuck so I ended up breaking the head off assuming it would be easy to replace.

Well I ran into a little problem. I have NO idea how you search for a specific size head. I went to my local hardware store. All their machine screws had heads almost twice as wide as mine despite being the right length and width. For a decorative item, those larger heads really wouldn’t look right.

Asking for a specific size head felt like I was speaking a foreign language. Can someone please inform me what terms to use when searching in person or online or what sizing system machine screw heads would go by? I thought this screw was fairly standard but I’m grasping at straws here.

The measurements are 5/8” long, 3/16” wide and the head is 7/32 or 1/4”.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


These are specialty brass screws used for lighting fixtures. Some of the larger home stores have a large selection of brass screws but your best bet would be to go to a commercial lighting supply store. The ones I've been in have a large selection of brass screws. Bring the lamp in with you.

  • Interesting. I didn’t realize there were screws especially for this category. I will check a lighting store then. Thanks! Mar 15, 2021 at 11:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.