I have an outside corner where plaster on one side meets exposed brick on the other. It all used to be plaster but I stripped off the side where it's now brick. The line is pretty straight cause I cut it with a 4.5" diamond blade but i would still like to make the corner fully plaster, i.e. cover the gray 3/4" thick old plaster with finishing to look like the plaster on the right side. IOW, I don't want the inner coat of plaster to be visible.

What I was thinking of doing is take a 2x4 and affix the 4 side along the brick side and the 2 side flush with plaster (hold it in place clamped to an adjacent window recess) and then tuckpoint the hole between the 2x4 and plaster to make a perfectly molded corner.

My question is: What is the best type of compound to do this with? I need something super light and strong so that it keeps adhered and doesn't crumble. I am afraid my plaster mix (2.5 masonry sand to 1 hydrolic plaster lime) might crumble and detach. Is drywall quickset mud a better option? Once I have molded the perfect corner, I plan to put a metal corner bead (using adhesive, not nails)

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.