I was removing wallpaper from a very old apartment, (Image below)

Here are my thoughts for solving this:

  1. Skim coat these rough walls and hope that it comes out smooth and even.
  2. Use a thin drywall sheet and just put it over the rough walls which would need extra work on joints.

Both have pro and cons, I am not sure what to pick.

Has anyone dealt with such rough sheetrock or walls?

Are there any other solutions than mentioned above?

Any advice is a blessing to me!! Thank you!

enter image description here

  • 2
    That looks like plaster, or even concrete, with a skim coat on it.
    – Alaska Man
    Mar 7, 2021 at 23:52
  • It is a plaster wall as it is hollow, thank you.
    – NIT_GUP
    Mar 7, 2021 at 23:59
  • 3
    Does this answer your question? How should I prepare damaged plaster for painting?
    – Kris
    Mar 8, 2021 at 0:58
  • To me that looks like backer board, but the link to the duplicate for repair should answer the question.
    – Ed Beal
    Mar 8, 2021 at 16:11
  • 1
    Wallpaper seemed to do ok there. New wallpaper?
    – Willk
    Mar 9, 2021 at 0:19


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.