The dryboards (?) in my summer house are starting to crumble. They have been here for at least 50 years, without any issues, but ever since no-one is living there permanently (4 years ago), they are falling apart.

It looks like humidity-related to me, and I am afraid that if I replace with the same kind of dryboard, I'll get the same thing quickly. Is there anything more appropriate for this context?

Inside the house, I measure:

Winter: 7°C / 44°F - 50 to 60% relative humidity Summer: 20°C / 68°F - 60% relative humidity

Picture of the wall Picture of the wall

Edit: Layout to better understand

enter image description here

  • You say dryboards do you mean drywall or Sheetrock? In the second photo It looks like it may be plaster. – Alaska Man Mar 6 at 19:43
  • I like how those wires just sprout from the wall. – Willk Mar 6 at 19:49
  • @Willk They're actually copper pipes for hot and cold water :) – Maxime Mar 6 at 20:05
  • @AlaskaMan I do not have a clue. Those were installed by my (great?) grand-father at least 50 years ago, and as you can guess, I am not, at all, knowledgeable enough to figure out what it is – Maxime Mar 6 at 20:05
  • 1
    @Willk the pipe runs straight through the wall, but does not really run "behind" it. I have added a drawing to clarify how it works – Maxime Mar 6 at 21:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.