Can anyone tell me what this nut is called and how to remove it in a way I can return the mechanism to normal working order? Also, what kind of special tools will I need?

The first photo is of the outside end-cap of a set of vertical blinds. The gear on the other side, not shown in the first picture, connects into a long shaft used to rotate the row of blinds to vary the amount of light coming through a glass door.

I'm actually trying to replace a broken axle that held some pulleys for the draw strings purposed to slide all the blinds in one direction or another. However, the pulley axle was located in this end-cap assembly. In order to get to their area, I need to remove this end, it looks like, and the only thing barring removal seems to be this weird looking nut.

Second photo is a view from the other side which shows how the gear couples to the shaft. Maybe there is a different way to uncouple and remove the end cap?

special nut at the end of a vertical blinds gear

vertical blind gear coupling

  • 1
    it is hard to tell from the picture but a lot of blinds that the metal nut and the whole white piece would be the roller mechanism. This mechanism can just be pulled away from the bar. Is there no way to remove the mechanism without removing the nut? The 2nd picture looks like you could remove the whole white end plastic, then remove the roller mechanism from the white end piece assembly. Commented Mar 6, 2021 at 18:09
  • The rod usually has a groove that makes it hard to get these off.
    – Mattman944
    Commented Mar 6, 2021 at 18:31
  • 2
    Just to be clear, although they are sometimes referred to as a push nut, it's not truly a "nut" since it has no internal threads, and the piece it attaches to has no external threads. It's more along the lines of a retaining clip and sometimes called a Shaft Retainer. As @george-anderson mentions, they are commonly referred to as push-on fasteners. One brand of the item is Starlock® push-on fasteners. A similar item that is designed for use on a threaded shaft is called a PalNut®. Commented Mar 7, 2021 at 4:07

3 Answers 3


I wish comments would allow pictures, but what you have is something generically called a "push on fastener" I have to disagree with jsotola, I consider them "barely reusable", they often break when when removing, esp. if old. I wouldn't count on being able to re-use it.

I attached a pic of something what I think is close to what you have.

press fastener

  • 3
    The standard way to remove these is actually to simply break them off and replace them with new. They're designed for fast, cheap assembly of things that are not designed to be repaired. Agreed with "barely reusable".
    – J...
    Commented Mar 7, 2021 at 13:10
  • 5
    FYI for the future, you could upload an image in the editor for answering, then copy the generated image link into a comment, then discard the answer. Commented Mar 7, 2021 at 17:03
  • 1
    This is often called a "push nut" in the US.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Mar 8, 2021 at 1:42
  • 1
    Another solution is to do away with this item and use epoxy to secure the chain pulley to the shaft. Even hot glue might be fine because there is very limited sideways force - the chain pulley is splined onto the shaft so transmit drive to the curtain.
    – Criggie
    Commented Mar 8, 2021 at 2:26

Called things like locking clip ...

But I get them off by preloading them with one small screwdriver then tweaking each of the locking tabs in turn with a second small screwdriver so it moves off.


The manufactures technical term is "Internal Tooth Star Lock Washers"

The teeth maintain a spring-type force to keep the nut in place while resisting any chance to rotate.

It is best practice that if they are removed to replace with a new one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.