What size rubber grommet do I need for a water-tight seal on a 3/4" PVC pipe?

For example, would this rubber grommet fit a 3/4" PVC Pipe?

enter image description here

  • 4
    water tight for potable water eg high pressure or just for some sort of drain – UNECS Dec 26 '12 at 10:05
  • Yes, knowing the usage would help. – The Evil Greebo Dec 26 '12 at 10:52
  • No high pressure. I'm converting a 37 gallon rubbermaid container into a holder for rain water. I'm drilling a hole in it and putting in a 3/4 PVC and I need a suitable grommet that won't leak. Thanks for any advice I do appreciate it! – stormist Dec 26 '12 at 16:28

In these situations, I use bulkhead fittings. It saves the annoyance to getting this stuff to seal properly, any slight leverage and there's now a leak. These are available in several sizes at most plumbing supply stores. If there's a gentle curve to the surface this has to penetrate, I've used a large O-ring instead of the supplied gasket. They're available as glue type fittings, or internally threaded.

PVC Bulkhead Fitting

  • Any links to one of these by any chance? I can't seem to find them on-line – stormist Jan 4 '13 at 4:12
  • Searching for "bulkhead PVC fitting" finds dozens of places to buy. – gregmac Feb 19 '13 at 20:47

Schedule 40 3/4" PVC pipe has a nominal diameter of 1.050 inches. The grommet you have highlighted has a 1/2" bore or inside diameter. A grommet with a one inch bore should provide a tight seal. Just remember that water tightness also relys on a tight seal between the grommet and the container. This requires a hole as close to the shoulder diameter (not the overall diameter) as possible. As this type of container has a thin wall I would install the grommet with a generous amount of silicone sealer.


I actually just built something similar. I tried all different types of gaskets, washers, etc. and all of them leaked under the pressure. I finally settled on a large metal washer on either side with a nut to apply pressure and liberal amounts of silicone. It's been a week so far and no leaks. The other trick is to drill the holes slightly smaller than needed. I then heated up the plastic to make it pliable and pushed the pipe through. It's helped make a nice tight seal, along with the silicone.

  • You can also buy a threaded coupling that has a backing nut to accomplish the same idea as Steven but glue the PVC into the proper coupling – UNECS Dec 27 '12 at 0:00
  • @UNECS The term is bulkhead fitting or tank bulkhead fitting. If the hole is drilled through a fairly flat area, this would be the best piece of plumbing to use. – Fiasco Labs Dec 27 '12 at 2:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.