In my home (built around 1970), I found a bizarre outlet when replacing the dated old ones. The front is your standard duplex, but on the back there are holes for 8 wires (4 hot, 4 neutral) plus the ground. Into the box, there are 4 pairs. Is there a name for this type of outlet, so I can try to find a replacement? I don't want to try to jam them all together in a standard outlet and create a hazard!

The original outlet says max 15 amps, 125v. Please see pictures below.

EDIT: Replaced front pic with sharper image, added pics of hot and neutral sides.

Back of original outlet

Front of outlet

Hot Side

Neutral side

  • Is there a company logo/name on the device somewhere (maybe on the front, the image is a bit blurry)?
    – Tester101
    Dec 26, 2012 at 12:19
  • Are there currently 8 wires connected to the receptacle? If so, is the box larger than a typical device box? With 8 conductors, plus grounds, plus the device in the box. Even if #14 wire is used, the box would have to be 22 cu.in. to be properly sized ((8 + 1 + 2) * 2.00 = 22).
    – Tester101
    Dec 26, 2012 at 12:24
  • 6
    Not uncommon at all. Some higher end Hubbel and Pass & Seymore outlets are configured with that many back wired holes. They are typically compression fittings tightened by the side screw as opposed to a barb spring. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:33
  • I don't know of a specific name, but I know that the Altus SSRE-6-WH10 (decora style) receptacle has the same pinout your pictures describe.
    – Matthew
    Dec 26, 2012 at 15:46
  • 2
    @Paul: The connecting tab on the hot side and neutral side are both intact. I added pics of both. I retook the front image, and it is sharper. I do not see any names or logos aside from the UL and CSA logos, and the 125v/15a max text. On the back, I see "CU" in a circle and "AL" in a circle with a slash through it. Additionally on the back, I see "NOM 057". Those are all stamped in the metal on the bottom side. On the top side, stamped in the metal as well, I see "LEVITON MEXICO, CU AND CU LLAD WIRE ONLY". So, it is indeed made by Leviton. Dec 26, 2012 at 21:03

2 Answers 2


Leviton has a useful web page for device lookup here. Using that, you can find the replacement receptacle is a Leviton 5252. Most shopping sites (like amazon) don't show the back, but a Google image search with that model number does show several pictures of the back.


I would just use the side terminals and treat it like a standard duplex outlet. No need to worry about all those backstab holes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.