I am trying to remove a cartridge from a mixer tap, and faced with this recessed nut that I cannot get a wrench around. It's also an unusual shape (well, not hexagonal). There is no maker name on the tap. Any tips for removing the cartridge?

Best Barry mixer tap cartridge mixer tap cartridge

  • 2
    Are you sure this is a nut? Your photo is poorly focused but that looks like a spring clip holding this in place. If you remove that I think you will be able to disassemble it.
    – jwh20
    Feb 21, 2021 at 18:58
  • See a photo, e.g. that on Amazon for a similar spring retention method. amazon.com/American-Standard-994053-0070A-Cartridge/dp/… Better, look up your faucet assembly online. Feb 21, 2021 at 21:32
  • Thanks! I tried to get a better picture (see above). I have removed the clip, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Should it maybe just pull out if I remove the clip? The clip must serve some purpose after all .... I cannot find any manufacturer name on the tap, which makes it hard to look up.
    – bazril
    Feb 21, 2021 at 21:43

1 Answer 1


Pretty sure that's a Carron faucet from UK. The design looks like you pull out the stem after the clip is removed. Similar to many other brand's designs like American Standard.

  • Thanks, that's helpful. It looks like this one tapmagician.co.uk/… - with the "2 flats" cartridge but hard to be sure.
    – bazril
    Feb 24, 2021 at 22:34
  • I agree. Looking at the cartridge, it should screw out counterclockwise. No need to remove the clip to get the cartridge out. Remove the clip to disassemble the cartridge afterwards for repair.
    – Rich
    Feb 25, 2021 at 4:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.