What designs of lights are allowed?

When do I need to get a building regulation inspection?

1 Answer 1


Depends on the distance from water. Homebase, of all people, have a good guide here.

In summary, lights in the bath must be 12V and completely waterproof (zone 0). If it's in reach of a bath (standing up or sitting down) your choices are limited to completely waterproof sealed units (rated IPX4) and you'll need a 30mA RCD (zone 1). Other areas at risk of splashing (Zone 3, including above sinks) need IPX4 splash-resistant fittings but don't need the RCD. Outside of that - in zone 3 - anything will do.

You may need to have the completed work inspected under Part P of the buildings regulations. Give buildings control at your local council a call - they can advise.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.