I've ordered 5/8" x 4" Strong-Tie Titen HD Screw Anchors to secure a pull-up rig to a brick wall. See photos.

The brick wall is actually a solid 1 foot thick!

What's the best way to drill holes for these kinds of anchors?

I want the roundest and closest possible to 5/8" hole.

I've considered:

  • SDS-plus

  • Rotary Percussion

  • Double Flute or

  • Standard rotary masonry bits.

Great if answers could also explain the differences and advantages of the various ways to do this.

enter image description here

  • What kind of brick, 1' thick.? I would use a sleeve or a wedge anchor instead. – Alaska Man Feb 3 at 18:03
  • 1
    Brick are not that solid. I think the treads on the HD screws may not provide enough holding power. I would use a dedicated brick anchor. This video is informative. youtube.com/watch?v=4e9dQO8bLmI – Alaska Man Feb 3 at 18:31
  • 2
    You seem to be asking about the precision of masonry bits, which is a bit odd since bazillions of holes have been made with them specifically for such anchors. Much of what you posted up there is irrelevant to that. Please refine your post to ask a clear, specific question. – isherwood Feb 3 at 18:58
  • 3
    I'm suggesting that precision with respect to roundness isn't terribly important, and that masonry bits round off to blunt hammers before long anyway, but they still do their job. I'm also curious what alternatives you had in mind. I know of none for holes of that size. Larger holes allow for core drills, but I don't know that they're inherently more precise. – isherwood Feb 3 at 19:41
  • 1
    I agree with Isherwood, all of the bits you listed do the same. Different locking mechanism on the bits for some but a standard 2 flute reduced shank bit in my 1/2” Milwaukee hammer drill will do the same as my hilti the difference the hilti is a professional tool that will do the job in 1/4 the time. No difference in the roundness of the holes. – Ed Beal Feb 5 at 21:43

You're free to use any method you desire to make holes in brick. Most construction folk will use a standard 2-cutter masonry bit. If they need to make a really big hole and don't care quite how precise it is, they'll use a jack hammer.

There are diamond tipped hole saws available for coring into masonry, but they're rather expensive and I'm not sure you'd find one at only 5/8" diameter.

  • Guess someone didn't like my answer. haz a sad. gets over it quickly – FreeMan Feb 4 at 13:24
  • The down vote wasn't me but I have never seen a jackhammer used for a “hole” when considering putting a pipe in a wall a core drill is used and these are actually much rounder than any of the rotary hammer bits most of those I have are carbide. – Ed Beal Feb 5 at 21:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.