How do I remove wall texture in my kitchen? I don't know where to begin. Should I sand or skim coat?

  • 2
    Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. We'll need more info before we can help you (e.g. pictures, what the walls are built on, etc). And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know the details of contributing here. Commented Jan 13, 2021 at 11:16
  • I've revised your post a bit. I seriously doubt you have unpainted acoustical texture on your walls. That's what "popcorn" is. Feel free to edit again with more detail.
    – isherwood
    Commented Jan 13, 2021 at 14:42
  • Depends on what kind of texture we're talking about. Some can be scraped off, others need sanded.
    – Phaelax z
    Commented Jan 13, 2021 at 17:46
  • If it's NOT plaster and lathe, you might consider ripping out the drywall and replacing it...if it's really stuck on hard. Commented Jan 14, 2021 at 5:29

2 Answers 2


The usual way is to wet the surface using a sprayer, wait a few minutes for the material to soften, the scrape off using a scraper.

You may need to do some touch-up of the drywall after removing the "popcorn" which you can do with spackle for small imperfections or drywall compound for larger ones.

Be sure to test on a small area to be sure it's going to work properly before you wet a large area.

Also, be aware that some of these used asbestos. If you are in doubt, have it tested!

  • 1
    That might be useful advice for unpainted acoustical texture. I really doubt that's what we're talking about here. I've never seen it on walls.
    – isherwood
    Commented Jan 13, 2021 at 14:42

Let’s assume it’s a painted painted wall. Sanding will be extremely difficult as the paint will gum up whatever you are using to sand. You could try a product like Krud Kutter but from personal experience, if the wall is more than 20 sq feet or so, you’re probably better of skim coating. It’ll probably take at least two passes. Always a good idea to scuff up the wall a bit with a coarse sand paper—especially if you’ve got a semi or full gloss paint.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.