I have a wall light which is connected to a 13amp domestic ring main using a 5amp fused spur. Is it possible to replace this conventional fused spur with a 5amp RCD spur for added protection should such a thing exist - I’ve only come across 13amp RCD Spurs. If not, which is preferable to protect a light fitting in this situation - a conventional 5amp cartridge type fuse or a 13amp RCD spur.


1 Answer 1


I'd use a 13A max RCD spur fitted with a 5A fuse

What I'd do in this situation, since FCUs/"fused spurs" use BS1362 fuses based on my limited research, is take a standard 13A RCD spur and downfuse it to 5A by replacing the stock 13A BS1362 fuse with a 5A BS1362 fuse instead.

  • How do you know all this stuff? ;) Jan 11, 2021 at 0:55
  • @Harper-ReinstateMonica -- the trick is to read manufacturer lit (datasheets, install instructions, and so on) rather closely Jan 11, 2021 at 0:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.