I'm trying to replace a lockless interior door's knob with one with a lock (not a "privacy lock", but an exterior-door-type key lock). The existing hole and knob has a non-standard backset of about 2-5/8". I've found plenty of new knobs that are adjustable between the standard sizes of exactly 2-3/8" and 2-3/4", but nothing that can be adjusted to something between those sizes.

Is there any way to find a knob that will fit without re-drilling or replacing the door?

  • I had some exterior doors like this at a previous house. I drilled new holes. The trim around the new lock-sets still covered the entire hole, so I didn't consider the slightly-enlarged hole to be a problem. – Jeff Wheeler Jan 10 at 21:28
  • Is that 2-5/8 from the short side or the long side? (Door edges are usually tapered.) My suspicion is that a 2-3/4 backset would work fine. Worst case is that you might have to nibble away a little at the hole on the face of the door. – Aloysius Defenestrate Jan 10 at 22:13
  • Try an antique shop or old furnishings store. – JACK Jan 10 at 22:52
  • @AloysiusDefenestrate I actually bought a new knob and tried both the 2-3/8 and 2-3/4 settings, and neither fit – kelnos Jan 10 at 23:07
  • @JACK that's a great idea, will look for one in town – kelnos Jan 10 at 23:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.