I'm thinking of putting an offer in on this house. It is 40 years old and a lake front property (Kentucky).

This picture is from the basement and you can see a large vertical crack at the end of a concrete block wall which has been poorly filled in the past.

This is literally all the details I have right now. I'll get more pictures and details shortly, and will have an expert out during the inspection period if I offer and it is accepted. In the meantime, I'd love to know if this was clearly a sign of a serious problem, because then I'll save myself some trouble and pass.

It's location both at the end of a wall and under that large support beem seems important, but I don't know if that makes it less serious or more.

Any thoughts?

List item

  • are you sure that those are concrete blocks? – jsotola Jan 8 at 2:36
  • @jstola no, I guess I'm not. The horizontal lines don't look like drywall though... – conman Jan 8 at 2:43
  • it looks like a concrete wall that was poured into a form that was made from boards – jsotola Jan 8 at 2:47

Concrete cracks. The fact that the crack reappeared after a cosmetic repair attempt is no surprise. If the wall was reinforced properly when built I wouldn’t be too concerned but you definitely want to get a structural engineer’s opinion. The only part about it that causes me pause is that it’s so close to an outside corner with a potentially heavy bearing load on it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.