I damaged some drywall when doing demo in a bathroom. Some of the paint peeled back and exposed the paper, which ripped off of the drywall. Can I do a thin coat and sand? please help, already have enough drywall to replace!
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: How
- Use a utility or x-acto knife to cut away enough of the paper that you get a nice clean edge that isn't pulled away from the underlying gypsum.
- Use a very small amount of joint compound and a 6" putty knife to apply a nice thin coat of joint compound over the damaged area. Don't use too little - a little too much is easy to fix, too little isn't.
- Allow to dry until it's firm to the touch.
- Use a clean damp sponge to smooth the surface of the patch down to a nice clean finish.
- Let dry completely.
- Prime!!! Always prime fresh joint compound or the paint won't stick.
- Touch up with existing paint color.