As part of my kitchen remodel, I want to move my refrigerator into a closet. In order for the refrigerator to fit width-wise, I need to remove two jack studs on one side of the closet that are supporting a double 2x12 header which is a bearing wall for the ceiling joists and second floor bedroom.

The header butts up against a 6x6 king stud that the jack studs are nailed to.

My question is:

  • Can I fabricate a steel bracket lag-bolted to the side of the king stud to support the header instead of the studs?

  • Would I need to extend such a bracket down the side of the 6x6 and attach it to a steel plate at the foot so the weight remains supported on the floor rather than hanging on the side?

  • How thick should steel plate be?

(Note in the pictures there is a third stud which I removed, shown in the location where I pulled it from. The bracket would replace this stud as well)

View from inside closet enter image description here

View from outside closet (bracket would be on the left hand side)
Removing the studs frees up the three-inch space to the right of the 6x6 post
enter image description here

Bracket Idea enter image description here

  • 1
    What is the header supporting and what is the 6x6 supporting? – Lee Sam Jan 2 at 19:30
  • 1
    It’s difficult to recommend a homemade bracket. If the load on the header was known, then a manufacturered bracket could be recommended. – Lee Sam Jan 2 at 19:44
  • Can a bracket be made for this? Sure. Can you do it with some back-of-the-envelope calculations? If you had the engineering chops for that, you wouldn't be asking here. You know that this is a load-bearing wall, we can only recommend that you contact a local structural engineer to have him design the proper accommodation for this. Without that, you risk serious damage to your house, potential injury to anyone in it, and risk having your insurance company not pay a claim since it's a home made fix and not signed off. – FreeMan Jan 2 at 19:50
  • 2
    I’m voting to close this question because this needs a Structural Engineer to make a safe assessment of what is necessary to prevent collapse of the OP's second floor. – FreeMan Jan 2 at 19:50
  • What sits on the header? – Lee Sam Jan 2 at 23:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.