I am trying to change the locks in my house, and saw this weird housing for the old deadbolt. To me it looks like glued on as there are no screws or indentations, but is there any other way?

Adding more pictures. I apologize that the lighting is poor, and those shapes on the inside may look like screws, but they aren’t.

If it is in fact glued,

How do I remove this?

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • How about pictures looking into it from both sides. – JACK Jan 1 at 22:46
  • Thanks for responding Jack. Have added more pics. Those shapes on the inside aren’t screws, so really am wondering how to get this thing out. – Love2diy Jan 1 at 23:03
  • Try turning it with a pair of Channelocks or adjustable pliers. – JACK Jan 1 at 23:24
  • it has to be threaded therefore JACK's response is a good one – Ack Jan 2 at 0:27

Everyone of those that i have encountered as just be pushed in.

Sometimes they are held in by friction and sometime they are loose and fall out.

It could be that is a snug fit and when the screws that held the two halve of the lock together were tightened up it wedged it in rather tightly.

  • Put a long nail through the door so that it presses on the inside of the cylinder and give it a few taps with a hammer to see if it starts to move. You may need to tap it a 12 o'clock, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock in a regular rotation to get it to press out evenly. – FreeMan Jan 2 at 1:12
  • Why should they tap it a 3 hour intervals? ;) Oh,wait, you meant the 12 o'clock position. Why not 12 and 6 then 3 and 9? – Alaska Man Jan 2 at 1:19
  • Point being to tap it out evenly so it doesn't jam by banging on only 1 side. One could choose the 1, 4:15, 7:23 & 11 o'clock positions, should one choose... – FreeMan Jan 2 at 19:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.