My tankless hot water heater went out & is on, I believe, a double 60 amp breaker. My plumber says the new one needs a 50 amp breaker. Can I just swap out the 60 amp with a new double 50 amp breaker?

  • This seems slightly strange. Is the new heater more efficient, or are you downsizing a bit? Commented Jan 4, 2021 at 14:08
  • The new heater is more efficient & calls for a 50 amp breaker. Commented Jan 5, 2021 at 18:26

1 Answer 1


You can breaker down but not up, so yes, you can just replace the 60 with a 50, the wires should fit. Before you do that though, check with the installation instructions to verify what your plumber wants you to do. The instructions will specify what size breaker you need to have and changing those directions can void any warranties you might have.

  • Thank you, The new heater does call for a 50 amp breaker Commented Jan 5, 2021 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.