The 3/8 " end of the 1/2" to 3/8 " faucet connector neither fits a 3/8" pipe nor a 1/4" pipe. Right now I have to find a connector which connects the 3/8" end of the faucet connector to 1/4" pipe. Which connector should I be looking for ?

enter image description here

  • The are compression fitting threads, not pipe threads. And what awful galvanic corrosion horror-show are you building there with black iron pipe connected to copper pipe in water service??? You will come to regret that...
    – Ecnerwal
    Dec 24, 2020 at 1:32
  • It is much simpler to stay with all 1/2" pipe (or larger if needed) . I had a free box of fittings with 3/8, 1/4 and maybe even 1/8 ; I basically never used them. Dec 24, 2020 at 1:39
  • Thanks, I don't know what I am doing clearly :) But after spending 900 $ to get one pressure reducer valve replaced, the thought of calling a plumber to get this tub fitted makes me question my life. Any suggestions are appreciated. Ofcourse this platform won't let me compensate for advice, I would if I could. Dec 24, 2020 at 2:49
  • Free lesson number 1 - black iron pipe is not suitable for potable water service, (it's a code violation, actually) nor sensible for ANY water service. Galvanized at minimum, stainless for a lot less trouble and no lead, or just skip threaded pipe altogether because it is 2020 and there's PEX, which ain't butyl. If your area is under IPC rules, read this: codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018/… and it will help keep you on track, but reading it won't make you a plumber - it might make you a better DIY, though.
    – Ecnerwal
    Dec 24, 2020 at 4:10
  • Ok, thankyou for the suggestions. I will follow the suggestions in answer below. Dec 24, 2020 at 5:23

1 Answer 1


Whoa... remove everything you just installed, including those valves.

  • the valves you used have garden hose thread outlets, and you have incorrectly screwed pipe thread fittings to them. It will leak, if not now then in the future. Those valves are commonly used to supply clothes washing machines which use supply lines with garden hose thread.

Replace the valves with dual-outlet angle stop valves, which come with the proper 1/2" pipe thread inlet and outlets that will fit your 3/8" compression thread flex supply and your 1/2" pipe thread flex supply:

enter image description here

Don't use those black iron fittings; they will corrode. You won't need them anyway if you purchase the correct stop-valves.

  • Thankyou Sir, I will try this. I will leave this open for a few days until I get the parts and complete fixing it so I can ask questions if I have any. I will mark this answered once I'm done. I hope thats okay. Dec 24, 2020 at 5:22
  • So far unable to find one that is not made in China. I'll keep looking. Thanks again. Dec 30, 2020 at 11:29
  • Yeah, another option is to buy a domestic 1/2" ips dual outlet valve, then convert one side to 3/8" comp. thread using a thread-on adapter. Dec 31, 2020 at 2:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.