Following the suggestions on this site, I bought a 1/4" compression cap for the unused icemaker water line under the sink. After installing it with Teflon tape, water is still spewing out. I noticed that the icemaker line I removed has a male piece that plugs into the supply line and then a female nut to tighten it to the line. Is there a cap that would have such a piece that would go into the line to improve the fit?

  • A picture of the fitting you're trying to cap off would be most helpful. Also, is there a valve on the ice maker line that's separate from the regular water line valve? If so, just shut that one off.
    – FreeMan
    Dec 18, 2020 at 16:40
  • Most of those valves use compression fittings so a cap may not seal well because of the straight threads.
    – Ed Beal
    Dec 18, 2020 at 16:49

1 Answer 1


So at the end of tubing that you want to cap you should have a fitting similar to this enter image description here

Additionally, add insert one of these into the tube after the nut and compression ferrule have been placed on the tubeenter image description here
Tighten the nut onto the couplers body only until the bottoms out or stops turning. Brass nut will crack from over-torquing. Remove the other nut and ferrule from the couplers other end. Wrap (2) turns of teflon tape in a clockwise direction on these threads. Tighten a compression cap enter image description here using directions as mentioned for nut above.

Compression fittings have a "finer" thread than standard International Pipe Thread (IPT).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.