I have a garage subpanel with 6 spaces. They are currently consumed by the following circuits:
- One for lighting.
- One for a few 120V outlets.
- Two for a 20A 240V circuit for a well pump.
- Two for a 20A 240V circuit for a saw.
Now I just acquired a 4800W shop heater with a 6-30P plug, so apparently I now need a 30A 240V circuit.
Am I practically able to avoid running another circuit? The options I can imagine off the top of my head are:
- Wire up a new single circuit outlet for the heater. However, I'd like to avoid installing a new panel if at all practically possible.
- Tear out the 20A circuit I ran (not a big deal) and run a new 30A circuit. Install an identical plug on my saw so that I can use the outlet for either the saw or the heater.
- Get ride of the heater and buy something that works with what I've currently got. However, it appears to me that all heaters of this type use the same plug, so I'm not sure if this is possible.