I found the pictured power strip in the cabinet under my kitchen sink. It was mounted to the wall and has an attached wire connected to a metal disk that was mounted to the the cabinet, just under the countertop. The only thing plugged into the power strip was some non-functional under-cabinet lighting whose power cord had been routed through the wall. On the underside of the power strip is a label that says "38AF APPLIANCE CONTROL".

I removed the dead lighting and also pulled out this power strip, along with the attached wire and metal disk. I don't think any of this stuff was serving an important function, but I don't like removing things when I don't even know what they are. Can anyone tell me what this thing is?

Weird power strip

Jack attacking wire to strip

1 Answer 1


A quick search came up with this: (Amazon)

The disk is a touchpad which controls dimming of the lights plugged into the strip.

This took me less than one minute, entering "38AF APPLIANCE CONTROL" into Google. (Actually, I didn't type it, I copied it from your question.) In the future, I'd suggest using a web search before posting.

  • I actually searched for it quite a bit before posting, on both Google and on internet retailer websites. But I didn't type the magic letters 38AF. Thanks for your help. Commented Dec 13, 2020 at 13:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.