My 1930's fireplace (Seattle WA, USA) has these inoperable sconces mounted on its face. The house has been updated to modern wiring, but these sconces were left alone and do not work. There is old fabric wrapped knob/tube wiring running from a central electrical box (pictured below) to the location of the sconces.
- What wire is acceptable to replace/pull through the old wiring? I would use normal 14/2 romex but given the install I am unsure it I would be able to pull a wire of that thickness/rigidity through the fireplace surround. Is there a smaller/thinner/more flexible type of wire that would be acceptable to use?
- These sconces do not have standard electrical boxes behind. Is it acceptable to run wire out of the wall directly into the existing sconces, presumable attaching the ground wire to the fixture body? Will I need to rework boxes here?
- If a 120V solution is not safe/allowed/prudent/workable/desired, can I run wire for a low voltage (12v/24v) LED solution without any concerns?