I have a great inheritance from the previous owner who seemed to do everything super poorly, I have to skim coat over terrible texture but ran into this. It's bowing slightly away from the room above the header. Will sanding and skimming this over be enough or time to bust out the saw?enter image description here

enter image description hereenter image description here

  • On pic 2, I initially identified those beads as a detail on the frame. After looking more closely, I realized that they may be part of a pull-chain for blinds enclosed in the unit at the header. Can you clarify which it is?
    – FreeMan
    Nov 20, 2020 at 14:35
  • yes its a pull chain Nov 20, 2020 at 15:37

1 Answer 1


The crack will show back up in short time if you just skim coat over it. Id take a utility knife and cut out the crack (v notch). When you do this the reason it cracked could reveal itself. It could be that the previous guy didn't tape properly. If that's the case fill up the cut out crack with hot mud. Tape it with all purpose mud (id use Fibafuse Tape). Then finishing coats use plus 3. However depending on what you find you might just need to replace a small section of drywall.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.