Can someone please help me identify the texture in this picture?

I’ve been patching a few holes around the house and cannot get the texture to match no matter what I do!

Notice how’s very little texture if any against the wood framing (by window and doors).

I’d appreciate any insight, thanks

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • sand the new work, feathering the edges, then use a rough surface roller to repaint.
    – dandavis
    Commented Nov 17, 2020 at 20:23

1 Answer 1


That doesn't look like drywall texture to me. It looks like stippling from a heavy-nap roller. The reason you don't see it along the trim is because a brush was used there.

When you paint, do the brush edging, then immediately roll over it as close as you can to the trim. This will minimize the smooth strip.

  • A wide piece of masking/painter's tape on the edge of the trim will help protect it from the roller.
    – FreeMan
    Commented Nov 17, 2020 at 19:20
  • 1
    I've typically seen this referred to as an orange peel texture. Commented Nov 17, 2020 at 20:21
  • Orange peel is a sprayed texture. This ain't that. Granted, this does look more like actual orange peel than that. :)
    – isherwood
    Commented Nov 17, 2020 at 20:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.