I am not a technical person and I am wondering what are these two things in my basement?

  • I think one of them is the water input (with meter) for my house
  • the second one coming from the ground is for the wastewater output

I am wondering can they be used to add a full bathroom in my basement? the reason I am asking is I contacted a contractor on the phone and he gave me two prices based on whether he needs to dig the concrete foundation to connect the wastewater.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • It's really hard to tell - is the clean-out (the thing on the floor) recessed several inches down, or is the carpet just cut oddly there?
    – FreeMan
    Nov 16 '20 at 13:44
  • It's not recessed. It's protruding at a 45 degree angle away from the wall. My guess is that the sewer exits the basement perpendicular there.
    – isherwood
    Dec 16 '20 at 13:24

One is a water meter on your main supply that can be read remotely.

The other looks like a drain access plug in case you ever need to run a snake down the pipe.

  • 1
    "drain access plug" is also called a clean-out.
    – FreeMan
    Nov 16 '20 at 13:43
  • 2
    Right, and neither are facilities for a future bathroom. Both must be maintained more or less as they are.
    – isherwood
    Dec 16 '20 at 13:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.