I need to unscrew a screw that I can't access frontally.

How can I do it?

Googling a bit I was thinking of a Torque Wrench, do you think it's the right choice?

  • 1
    A picture would help. I remove screws on the back side of things all the time. I don’t see how a torque wrench would be any different than any other wrench.
    – Ed Beal
    Nov 10, 2020 at 15:53
  • what exactly are you trying to do?
    – jsotola
    Nov 10, 2020 at 16:06
  • Do you mean you can get to the front but don't have enough room for even a really short screwdriver? If so, what kind of screw head? If not, which part of the screw do you see? Pictures might help.
    – Olivier
    Nov 10, 2020 at 16:07
  • I found my answer.. diy.stackexchange.com/questions/21400/… Nov 10, 2020 at 16:07
  • Screwing/unscrewing from behind can be just as enjoyable. Just make sure you are in the right slot.
    – DMoore
    Nov 10, 2020 at 16:58

1 Answer 1


Use an angled (or offset*) screw driver:

enter image description here
Image courtesy of chelseaclockwallpaper.blogspot.com. First reasonably small image I found for what I was after

There are also ratcheting right-angle screwdrivers such as:

enter image description here
Image courtesy of harborfreight.com

If you don't have enough room for even that, use pliers to grip the head. You might use locking pliers (ViceGrip™ is one brand name) depending on how tight the screw is in.

*As noted in a comment by Greg Hill. Thanks!

  • Some call the Z-shape screwdriver an "offset screwdriver."
    – Greg Hill
    Nov 10, 2020 at 16:30
  • @GregHill, see edit. ;)
    – FreeMan
    Nov 10, 2020 at 16:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.