enter image description here

Looking for a good way to tightly connect two round rods in a T configuration.

I figured something like a T-clamp would be the obvious solution and easy to buy, but I have searched rather extensively and the closest thing I've found online is This, and from the measurements quoted it appears way too big.

In my application the vertical part is a 3/8" diameter steel rod, and the horizontal crossbar is a 7/8" diameter wood handle (to twist the rod). The rod is already inserted into a hole in the handle, but after many years the handle is now slipping, hence the need for a fix.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably simple means to secure the handle so it won't slip? I know I've seen T-clamps in pictures somewhere, but if they aren't as commonly available as I thought, I may need something different.

The local Home Depot has told me on the phone that they don't have anything like this.


  • 1
    How muck torque is involved with the turning?
    – JACK
    Oct 11 '20 at 20:42
  • A photo of the thing you are trying to repair may shed light or stimulate an alternative fix.
    – Alaska Man
    Oct 11 '20 at 21:37
  • The specs on the product you linked to say 1 5/8" X 1 5/8" so that would be for a 1 5/8" pipe or handle, a little larger but not smaller. NO?
    – Alaska Man
    Oct 11 '20 at 21:43
  • 1
    I wasn't sure. I thought the 1 5/8" was the length/width of the product. Actually it didn't "look" that big in the photo (to me), but later, I realized it could be the intended diameter. Anyway if that's the case, it definitely won't work for me.
    – Warren
    Oct 12 '20 at 0:12
  • 1
    why don't you bend the rod into L shape?
    – jsotola
    Oct 12 '20 at 0:39

You might be able to find an appropriate clamp, but this appears to just be an irrigation shut-off key. They are not expensive brand new and I'd bet that the whole new key doesn't cost more than whatever speciality clamp you might ultimately find

  • This is not a standard handle. It was put together from scratch by the previous owner of the house.
    – Warren
    Oct 18 '20 at 5:03
  • Ok @Warren but the valve surely is like other valves, right? So handles built to activate valves might work
    – Matthew
    Oct 19 '20 at 1:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.