In the past, I've replaced old incandescent can lights with LEDs and it has been a breeze.

For the latest can light I'm replacing though, the attachment is different and I can't find an LED retrofit that would seem to work.

This is the inside of the current can and the trim that attaches using the slots at the top:

enter image description here enter image description here

Here is a typical retrofit LED:

enter image description here

The can doesn't have the holes on the side for the prongs of the retrofit LED. Instead there are some clips right next to the light socket. There are also the vertical slots closer to the bottom of the can but I don't know what they are for.

Is there a way to attach this LED to this can? Another LED that would work? Or am I out of luck?

  • How was the former trim held in? The "slots & holes" arrangement is usually for coiled springs.
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Oct 9, 2020 at 0:07
  • @Ecnerwal, by the two clips next to the light socket near the top of the can.
    – minou
    Commented Oct 9, 2020 at 0:09
  • Does the existing fixture have a diffuser, or just a trim ring?
    – Mattman944
    Commented Oct 9, 2020 at 8:52
  • I see two slots in that photo.
    – Jasen
    Commented Oct 9, 2020 at 10:41
  • 1
    I can't tell if it has a diffuser. If it does, a regular LED bulb worked for me. diy.stackexchange.com/questions/190410/…
    – Mattman944
    Commented Oct 9, 2020 at 15:20

1 Answer 1


I found a solution. You can buy these on Amazon:

The are called "Retrofit Recessed Downlight Housing C Clips with Self Tapping Screws for Down Light Can"

You screw them onto the wall of the can, and then you have slots to hold the torsion spring of the LED.

They seem to be available only on Amazon (not even the big box stores) so not an easy thing to find.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.