I have a leaky faucet problem and I am trying to replace the cartridge from the hot side that is causing it, but when I unscrewed the handle, I find that the cartridge is firmly put into it and I've tried using a wrench to unscrew it, but it's not working. I am not sure where to go from here and what to do to. It doesn't appear to me that there is any nut in there that I could remove. Any help would be appreciated it. Thank you so much. Here is a picture:

enter image description here https://imgur.com/a/nMp6tfu

1 Answer 1


That chrome piece with the hex shape on top is definitely a retainer cap which needs to be unscrewed to access the valve/cartridge unit under it. You will need a bigger/better wrench perhaps. I always start by soaking stuck parts with penetrating lube/oil for a while (I use Liquid Wrench but there are a bunch of products out there.

There are specialized plumbing sockets that might allow you to get more leverage on that thin hexed part, like this:

enter image description here

  • Yes, use a socket or you stand a good chance of rounding those corners and wrecking the finish.+1
    – JACK
    Oct 9, 2020 at 0:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.