This is for a bifold door. I want to have front and back knobs using the same screw.

I can’t recall what this assembly is called nor the screw name.

  • The knob on the inside may keep the door from opening as far as it could otherwise. The knobs do not necessarily need to be connected. ( on the same plain)
    – Alaska Man
    Oct 5 '20 at 21:02
  • I think I will get double ended screws. It’s ok not to have the dorms open flush. I appreciate your answer.
    – jlsdds
    Oct 5 '20 at 21:27
  • 1
    @jlsdds, please take the tour to learn what to do next. A comment is not an answer.
    – isherwood
    Oct 6 '20 at 21:26

I don't ever recall seeing a "kit" for this. When I've had to do it, I just got the two knobs and cut the head off one of the screws. If the screws that came with the knobs were too short, then I got a longer screw and cut the head off. There are double threaded studs out there but they are usually too big for what you want to do.

  • Your comment helped me to find double ended or dowel screws.
    – jlsdds
    Oct 5 '20 at 21:25
  • Jlsdds, when an answer is helpful please upvote or accept that’s how we give thanks.
    – Ed Beal
    Oct 6 '20 at 15:58

Just use a

no-head bolt

and buy two handles.

Probably want about 2 1/2" length (although depends on size of handles)

  • 1
    No head bolt, Also called Threaded Rod. Finding it with the correct threads for a door handle may be tricky.?? Depending on the knobs.
    – Alaska Man
    Oct 6 '20 at 20:14
  • What I usually do is bring the item I'm threading (the knob) with me to Home Depot or Lowes and try until I find the right bolt. (unless you can find the thread pitch labeled somewhere on the knob.)
    – Vette
    Oct 6 '20 at 20:17
  • I think AM's point is that you need opposing thread direction on each end. The threads would be backward for one side.
    – isherwood
    Oct 6 '20 at 21:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.