I have gone through multiple diagrams on the internet but not able to understand my dining room 3-way switch wiring setup. Any insight or next steps would be helpful.
What do I want to achieve? I would like to install a 3-way smart dimmer switch that requires a neutral wire. Can I still do that by doing making some adjustments to existing wiring?
What I have?
- Light Fixture
- Switch Box 1
- Switch Box 2
Switch Box 1 has two wire bundles and a 3-way standard switch
- Wire bundle 1 has 2 wires - Black and White
- Wire bundle 2 has 3 wires - Black, Red and White
- White wire of Wire bundle 1 which seems hot connected to the Black wire of Wire Bundle 2 with a wire nut
- Black wire of Wire bundle 1 is connected to the Common screw of Switch 1
- Other two wires of Wire bundle 2 are connected to the Switch 1 (travelers)
Switch Box 2 has 1 wire bundle and a 3-way dimmer switch
- Wire bundle has 3 wires - Black, Red and White
- All three wires are connected to three parts of the 3-way dimmer switch
It goes without saying that there is a ground wire in both switch boxes.
What do I know so far?
- I think Power seems to be getting to the fixture first
- Do not see any neutral wire
What do I not know so far?
- Not sure why the white wire of Wire Bundle 1 in Switch Box 1 is hot?
- Not opened the fixture to see what is in there.
Thank you for your time. Himanshu