My shower faucet is leaking. So I removed the handle to see what kind of stems they use. I haven't seen this kind of stems anywhere. Does anyone know what they are and how to replace them?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • do you see any place that you can use a wrench?
    – jsotola
    Oct 2, 2020 at 4:09
  • No, I can't get a good grip. I feel that this has to be disassembled somehow and then take it out. I showed pictures to my local hardware store and they said they don't have any stem like this one. Looks like I have to call a pro on this one.
    – sambosma
    Oct 2, 2020 at 13:59
  • Looks like a void or a hole in the cylinder near the 4-oclock position. Is there anything visible at that position?
    – BowlOfRed
    Oct 2, 2020 at 17:05
  • try to rotate one of the chrome parts,
    – Jasen
    Oct 3, 2020 at 5:05
  • You are very likely going to need a new cartridge to stop the leak. Nov 1, 2020 at 21:06

2 Answers 2


Thank you Ed Beal. Yes, these are washer-less ceramic valves. I changed the cartridge and it was simple than I thought. Basically you remove the plate and turn the chrome sleeve counter clockwise to remove it. Then use a channel lock to loosen the cartridge by holding the edge of the cartridge and turning it counter clockwise. Installed a new cartridge and gave it a gentle tight snug. No more leaks and shower works very well.

Please see the pics I took.

This is the cartridge part number This is the cartridge part number

After removing plate and sleeve After removing plate and sleeve

After loosening the cartridge After loosening the cartridge

Cartridge removed Cartridge removed

Installed a new cartridge Installed a new cartridge

  • Thanks for adding your answer; you should also mark whichever answer you think is best as "the" answer by checking the checkmark. And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to contribute here. Nov 3, 2020 at 17:13

That those are 1/4 turn or limited turn I would say they are washer-less valves. I would look around the outside of the body of the valve to see if there is a set screw / grub screw holding the cartridge in place, if you can not find a screw look closely at the brass hex piece that is cut out for the stop. Is that threaded on the outside if so it may unscrew or be a packing I am not sure but that is a possibility. If it is a packing the clip and stop will probably need to be removed to unscrew and not damage the cartridge. Replacement o rings should be easy to find once you get it apart.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.