Splitting service to a new power meter. I just cut the wires coming out of the meter box and now the grounding cable is 2' short of the grounding rod. Must the ground wire be continuous from the panel box, through the meter to the grounding rod?

  • 2
    I believe an irreversable splice (e.g. Cadweld) is OK, but I'll leave the definitive answer to one of the folks who do this for a living. – Ecnerwal Sep 30 '20 at 22:26
  • Who is your power utility? Also, are your meter and panel in the same box (a meter-main or CSED), or in two separate boxes? – ThreePhaseEel Oct 1 '20 at 1:32
  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Unfortunately, we'll need more info before we have any chance of helping you. – Daniel Griscom Oct 1 '20 at 2:37

In most circumstances it isn't necessary (or advisable) to go "through the meter", but your exact installation would need to be addressed. The wire should be continuous.

NEC 250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation (C) Continuous...shall be continuous...If necessary, splices shall be...(1)..irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.