I want to run directly from the meter to house, no secondary panel:

Would the following portion of this answer here apply to my situation?

To feed a 100 ampere secondary panel 200 ft. from the main panel, you'll want to use 1 AWG copper or 2/0 aluminum conductors. This is large enough to safely carry 100 amperes, and to maintain power quality over the distance.


You'll want to feed the panel using 4 conductors (hot, hot, neutral, ground).
You'll have to isolate the grounded (neutral) conductors and bus bar in the secondary panel.
You'll have to install an adequate grounding electrode system at the outbuilding, and bond the grounding conductor to it.

  • no idea ... you did not say how far is the meter from the house
    – jsotola
    Sep 29 '20 at 18:39
  • It's a solid answer, but is it the same question? Not necessarily. Now if you have a meter-main combination, with overcurrent protection and the first means of disconnect at the meter, the panel at the house really is a subpanel, and it does apply Sep 29 '20 at 18:50
  • Would this info help? The electric company just ran new service from the street about 150ft to the pole on our property and installed a new meter on the pole. Now we are running service from that meter 160ft underground to the house. Sep 30 '20 at 21:40

Per the 2020 code (230.85), you are now REQUIRED to have a disconnect outside of the house at the meter.

  • Thanks for all the answers. Oct 1 '20 at 7:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.