I want to replace a lighting fixture in the bathroom ceiling. I think it was kind of heat light. I took the light out and realized that two blue cables are connected to the fixture and two red ones on the other side and there is no neutral. What do I need to do to connect to live and neutral to install a halo ceiling light box and light?

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • It would help to know your location and voltage, I am guessing the other side of the Pond from the US and am reversing the down vote, that I think came from some on my side of the pond that don’t have a clue. I think it depends on the year built also but blue red might be neutral / hot 240v in some areas, give us a bit more info and we probably can help.
    – Ed Beal
    Sep 28, 2020 at 2:39
  • 3
    Can you find a make/model number label on the fixture? I think this is an integral-ballast CFL can, but am not certain... Sep 28, 2020 at 2:50
  • The "EnergyStar" sticker might point at a USA location, but I've seen internationally produced items with brown/blue wiring for Hot/Neutral on 120V (which is standard euro-market hot/neutral for 230V, AFAIK). - but 3PE is right, that does look like a CFL socket.
    – Ecnerwal
    Sep 28, 2020 at 2:51
  • It’s the USA. I will look tomorrow for the make/model.
    – Andre
    Sep 28, 2020 at 3:13
  • Thank you for including pics! It appears, though, that you accidentally shared the same image for the 2nd and 3rd pics. Please edit to remove one and share the proper 3rd image (if you have one).
    – FreeMan
    Sep 28, 2020 at 11:06

1 Answer 1


This appears to be a CFL can with an integral ballast

What you are looking at appears to be a type of recessed "can" downlight that was designed to use a 4-pin compact fluorescent bulb with the ballast for that bulb integrated into the fixture. (Think of a "tube" style fluorescent fixture that's been zapped with a twisty shrink ray.)

As a result, if you want to do something other than put a CFL in it, you'll need to replace the fixture outright (or have the electrician put a replacement in for you).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.