Might be stupid questions but what kind of cable I for pulling 3 phase power outdoors around 10 meters outside. Frost is not an issue but even if I pull the cable within a pipe there is a good chance of moisture over its life.

  • 1
    According to code underground conduit is considered to be full of water all the time. The wire requirements reflect that. – ratchet freak Sep 14 at 11:24
  • Yeah, definitely bury it, preferably in conduit, not like what they did at Fukushima when they just draped across the ground to save units 2 and 3, and they took physical damage and put em put of business. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Sep 14 at 16:08
  • Cool cable sorted. Turns out that only type of 3 phase 5 cable sold in my local hardware store was the on mentioned for outdoor usage because the common use cases here are household EV charging and 400V patio heaters. People pull outdoor cable to induction hubs as well just in case. – Kimmo Hintikka yesterday
  • Also I was advised not only to burry cable (in fact violation of building code here) but to pull it using pipe sleeve so physical damage ist threatening the cable ether. – Kimmo Hintikka yesterday

If you run conduit ("pipe" intended for electrical wire protection) you generally use individual wires, NOT cable (several wires bundled in an outer jacket) - they pull easier than a cable, and the conduit is all the outer jacket required, and a better one than a cable has.

Your local standards are undoubtedly in line with most others worldwide in considering any exterior conduit to be full of water all the time. As such, wiring for use in such conduit is "wet-rated" and works perfectly well in water. Your local electrical supplier will have such wire.

If the conduit is to be buried, there are likely standards for minimum burial depth (which may vary with what type of conduit it is) and how it is to be marked. If it is above ground, but below ~2.5m height there are likely standards for what type of conduit is considered sturdy enough for use exposed to damage. I am familiar with those standards in my local area but not in the Netherlands (location per your other question) - however, I'm tolerably certain that such standards will exist locally.

| improve this answer | |

You would need wire for a wet location so a common type, at least here in the USA, would be THHW or THWN. You might have to check with your suppliers for equivalent types.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.