I've tried Googling this but the stakes are quite high and I don't want to be wrong, so I'm asking here.
Wildfires are raging in California where we live, and the Air Quality is nearing the 'hazardous' AQI level. I just bought a 6x16" 400cfm active carbon air filter/fan, and I have 1 other air purifier running in different rooms.
The problem is it's extremely cold in our house as I have the heater off. I am wondering if it's safe to turn the heater on, or if it's going to pull in air from outside?
I'll try to give you details which could help figure it out.
- Our heater box is in the closet under the stairs (photo below).
- Also, there is
14x14x1sized air filter behind our couch which I feel it sucking air from when the heater is on. Is this the only location the air comes from?
- The thermostat offers heat/cool and is a digital box on the wall
- We have a gas stove so I assume the furnance is also gas?
- We live with someone with COPD and I also have asthma, so it's important to me not to just rely on some old ass filter which is supposed to filter air from the outside.
- important side question does it look like my quatro heater is dangerous? In trying to research this i found that some were recalled and now I'm scared because our house has this furnace...