To fix a bookcase built by my dad who died last year, I am looking for the nylon or plastic connector that he used. They consist of a threaded dowel 3” by1/2” and threaded inserts 1”-wide insert for the 1/2”-threaded nut. They works really well making bookshelves with the inserts in the shelf boards and in the spindles. However, I have been unable to find anywhere.

Any suggestions? enter image description here


I would call those fluted dowel pins. I use a similar style of pre made dowels. Finding that exact model may take some time but give fluted dowel pins or rods and that should get you close.

  • Thanks for the reply, Ed. The pins are fluted, but the key is that they are also threaded. There are about 5 threads per inch. They screw into the matching threaded inserts. When I search for fluted dowel pins or rods, I just get the wood ones designed to hold glue. – Nealf Sep 7 '20 at 18:40
  • Is it possible that he threaded them? I see what you are saying with the angled “threads” they may be OEM but try adding threaded to fluted or a variation of that measurement of the length and threads per inch or mm may be a standard pitch like 1/4-20 or 1/2-12 the diameter and how many Threads per inch. 5 per inch is not a common pitch I am aware of. – Ed Beal Sep 7 '20 at 22:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.