Do you know what type of screw and bolt this is? Do you know the best way to unscrew it? It attaches my CCTV camera to the ceiling plaster (dry wall).

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Those are "Mollys": (hollow wall anchors)


They don't come out,

the screw comes out (it's long so it comes out slowly), but the anchor part will stay.

It might be possible to drill out the anchor part from the front

Or maybe cut off the arms at the back, remove the nut fold up the stubs and eject the anchor body

  • 1
    The hollow wall anchors don't come out because the hole into which they were placed is smaller than the spread legs of the anchor. In the photo, the back side is accessible. Once the bolt is removed, the anchor will fall away, yes?
    – fred_dot_u
    Sep 1, 2020 at 9:22
  • 3
    you'll have to break up the sheet metal part, it has a flange on the outside, and the the arms you see on the inside , cut away the arms or the flange and it will fall out (or in) leaving a bare hole,
    – Jasen
    Sep 1, 2020 at 9:28
  • I use a needle-nose pliers to grasp and snap off the front flange (which is usually in two halves), then push the resulting sleeve into the wall for patching.
    – isherwood
    Sep 1, 2020 at 14:01
  • Another method: Unscrew the fastener bolt until it's down to its last few threads, then tap on it with a hammer. Basically you are trying to cause the folded legs back to the original flat. Or near flat, at some point you can pull on it and use the force against the hole to help.
    – DaveM
    Sep 1, 2020 at 15:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.